Monday, June 05, 2006

Oprah vs. Hip hop

Well, there's alot of spectualtion as to whether Ms. Winfrey likes hip hop music or if she doesn't. Now, I don't have billions like O, and let's face it I don't have millions like her either. However, I can't stand TODAY'S hip hop music. I have a new appreciation of the 80's/early 90's hip hop and r&b music, and even though I've honestly gave TODAY'S music a chance; it's not working for me.

I hate it, hate it, hate it. If I like a song from today's music, it has to be more than the standard "EFF THE HOES" "I GOT MONEY, I'LL CAP YOUR ASS". Why can't they talk about something else? They don't have to be all goody tooshoes, but for goodness sakes why are they so limited in what they say?

"Well, if you don't like you can turn off the radio or change the channel" yada yada yada. What about "Self-Destruction" "Paper Thin" "911 Is A Joke" shoot what about "Brooklyn Zoo" and "Now That We've Found Love"? What happen to that music, and why is it relegated to the "old school"?

What's with the bitches and hoes? If Oprah's on her show discussing the marginalization of women, why would she have 50 cent on her show? What can he talk about? If she's trying to help the country track down child molesters and pedophiles, why would she have a rapper on there talking about "effing hoes" and the majority of those listening to the music are young kids?

What sense does that make? I love me some Ludacris, but would you want to spend an hour defending your music to Oprah and the demographics she appeals too? What would you say that would make her feel at least a little more welcoming towards you and your craft? How could you defend your music without being considered a "sell out" to your audience?

On the flip side, she's has Will Smith on her show so what's wrong with Ice Cube? He's done alot more than say "eff the police", he's directed and produced movies and tv shows. She had the cast of "Black/White" on her show, why not the producer?

I won't excuse or agree with any side, because it's not necessarily my place. I would like to point that if Ms. Winfrey will have Will Smith on her show, why not another rapper like Cube or LL Cool J?

Just like if 50 cent and others want to be taken seriously by Oprah, then why not have a valid reason to have an hour of our time. You can't rap on her show, because you'll be bleeped at least 5 times a verse. Have a platform to speak on, something substantial to speak about. Give Oprah a reason for wanting you on her show.

Offer to help her find sex offenders, talk about how you're helping the community. Give something to the audience other than a tour of your latest crib. If your world's empty and shallow, you don't deserve an hour of my time.

2 comments:

Avin said...

I agree with you, I dont see what the big deal is. They never wanted to be on Oprah before.

Anonymous said...

Wow Dot. I SO agree with you. I was just having this conversation the other day! What happened to hip hop being about "I'm the best ....you suck..you couldn't rhyme your way outta a paperbag!!" That's what's up right there. Not "I got all these hoes lined up to polish my knot" over some fat beats...c'mon now.