Friday, June 02, 2006

Good Afternoon guys! As the day closes for me, I would like to make somethings clear.

As we all know it's graduation season, and there are some folk who should not be valedictorian or allowed to speak in public. My highlight of the week was the graduation I attended on Wednesday, which was good with the exception of some points.

Just because you have a GPA of 5.25 (or whatever the standard is now) does not necessarily mean you are intellectually smart enough to speak in public. I have never seen such a display of wasted time and the resounding "What the hell are you talking about" come from a group of individuals in my life.

Giving shout outs and talking about your busted car, doesn't allow the audience to whom you are speaking to understand the correlation between heading out into the world and the fact you can't open the passenger side door to your old car.

I got the point that you don't want to depend on a ball player to support you, but the delivery doesn't indicate you plan on going far in your life. If you could have only heard what was coming out of this poor child's mouth was astonishing at best, and I surely don't mean that in the best way. Grant it, she's intelligent on paper.. .but what came out her mouth, didn't prove that point.

I'm not sure who or how someone is elected valedictorian or co-valedictorian (in this case, and why not have a salutatorian as done in my day?), but I'm pretty sure that the standards are low for this particular school. And I've seen better, more well spoken students walk across the stage with a 3.85 GPA.

In my opinion, I believe they need a better system than the one that they currently have because it's obvious it's not working. I propose that they take the top ten achieving students in the graduating class, have them submit an essay on whatever topic the school chooses. 1000 words or less, and whatever the best top two essays are, those are the valedictorian and saluatorian for the graduation class.

They also should spend time on public speaking. Allowing them the opportunity to present their essay to their school, as a test to their public speaking skills. Or shoot offer a Toastmasters class. I'm sure that will work.

Just because you're smart and popular shouldn't guarantee you a spot on stage at the graduation! You have to have the whole package, how can this girl go into the work force and talk the way that she did?

Also, I'm truly bothered by the lack of education and decorum that some folk tend to proudly carry around. My tolerance for ignorance was extremely reaching its zenith on Wednesday, and as much as I wanted to say "Please, go educate yourself", I just kept quiet. Why even bother to say anything, if they are to ignorant to understand that they lack the basic "hometraining" to conduct themselves accordingly when they leave the house?

What is the point in even getting upset? What was I more upset about, the lack of intelligence or upset about the fact that they don't seek to do better for themselves then to be what it is they are?

So here are my "Top 10 Graduation No-No's"

10)Don't give shout outs during your valedictorian speech

9) Don't walk across the stage barefoot (yes someone was barefoot!)

8) Don't keep your head down while you're giving your speech

7) Don't wear a wedding dress or a bridesmaid dress as a graduation gown

6) Don't make references to your busted up hooride during your valedictorian speech

5) Don't come late and start screaming "WHERE SHE AT?"

4) Don't smack your lips during your valedictorian speech.

3) While the principal is giving the proclamation that the students met the requirements to graduate don't yell "THAT'S IT! THEY DON'T WALK ACROSS THE STAGE?!" it's obvious they haven't gotten to that part yet!

2) Don't say "WHOO, I KNOW SHE CAN'T WAIT TO GET MARRIED TO CHANGE HER LAST NAME" just because you can't pronounce Thomas!

1) When the emcee say ". . .and last but not least, Mr. Kwesi Mfume" don't say "Who? Is he here?!"

Have a happy weekend!

4 comments:

Avin said...

Welcome to your first blog. Good thing I dont have to watch anyone graduate this year. LOL But I will pass on the tips!

DotSpot said...

Are you sure? These tips are the bomb.com/tips. . .you can't get them from anywhere else.

Anonymous said...

Whoo Hoooo!! Go Dot!!!

DotSpot said...

thanks homey!