Thursday, March 01, 2007

Honey, I Blew Up The Kitchen!

The night before last, I wanted to make soup. I'm a good cook, beginning foodie if I must say so; my only food nemesis was soup, I was afraid of soup. I always wanted to make it! I tried one recipe but it stunk the house up something awful, to the point I was afraid to open the pot to throw it out.

So, I tried a new one; with a few additions it came out great. Getting to the end was a journey itself!

I always like to pre-heat my pots while I'm preparing the food because I don't like being ready to cook but the pots or pans are ice cold. So, while I was chopping the onions I turned the soup pot on to warm up. That was the point all hell broke loose.

I put the butter in the pot and it started to burn immediately, popping out the pan type burn. It got brown and then black in a half a second, so I tried to take it to the sink to run water under it but it was popping to bad for me to hold it.

I waited (so I thought) for it to cool a bit, when it stopped popping I poured cold water in it. AND OH MY GOODNESS! It started popping even more, it started splattering all over the place. The sounds were a cross of a tommy gun and butter lover's popcorn.

My oldest was jumping up and down screaming, "POPCORN!" "POPCORN!" "POPCORN!", my kitchen was a tee totalling mess! I had burned butter on everything! From the floor to the back of the stove and up to the cabinets!

I had to completely clean up the kitchen and start over! At least the soup came out right, even if I had to damn near blow up the kitchen to do it.

No comments: